So, finished the tutorial for Scrivener this morning and this evening I am exploring the possibilities.
Ideally I would like to have my whole merman series as a single project so I can cross-reference everything in the series in one place. Let’s see how it goes.
- Importing the document for the first story and splitting the chapters was easy and painless. Was a bit concerned it might lose my italics (which I use for telepathic communication in this story) but they have gone through fine.
- I didn’t have as much success with my character templates. They are a bit too fancy for importing successfully. I expected the images to disappear from them, but I didn’t expect my tables to be quite so warped. Parts are perfect, others are not. Thankfully I can recreate a profile sheet with the same information in Scrivener, just can’t import the ones I have. Going to recreate them all (hopefully) this evening.
- The program has crashed twice so far, both times when I was trying to do something in the table. I suspect that I won’t be using tables too much in general, so hopefully that is the only annoyance I am going to find. The auto save meant I didn’t lose anything though. *phew*
- Put together all my profiles again, along with adding the pictures back in so they tag to the pages of the characters.
- Been through the first story and tagged all the characters that I intend to be recurring in later ones so I can reference them. Had to look up how to do this again. There was so much to take in during the tutorial.
- Added brief chapter summaries to the index cards for easy finding of particular scenes. Utilised the split screen and the locked pane for this – feel quite accomplished that I remembered how to do this.
- Changed my default dictionary to English (UK).
- And finally I added in my notes for one upcoming Main Character and also a deleted scene from Forbidden Waters that may be useful later.
- One little quirk I have found is that many instances (but not all) where I have used the ‘ sign, it has duplicated it, so a word might read isn”t rather than isn’t. It isn’t in the original Word document and hopefully is easy to fix, though even if it isn’t I am not too worried since this story is mainly in the project just for reference.
All in all, and despite the couple of crashes, I am really impressed with this program.
Going to put a few notes together for the first part of the second story in the series and try to resist the temptation to start writing it straight away – gotta finish Heavenly Sins 3 first.