I have decided not to look back on 2016 like I normally do at this point, because quite frankly it was no better than 2015 from a writing point of view and a hell of a lot worse from the social media point of view. I really should have kept to my word and stayed off it as I intended to.
Instead I am going to do a round up of things I would like to get done in 2017.
- Finish off the Mermen & Magic series by the end of the year. This is, I believe, doable. Book 5 is mostly written, just a few scenes to go to complete the first draft. While the final book isn’t started, it is mostly plotted and will hopefully be one of the easier books of the series to complete.
- Write the final Fairy Tales for All book. This is partially written and completely plotted, but got put to one side when amusing and light-hearted stories were not exactly happening for me.
- Complete the sequel to To See the Sky. This one was mostly written but not coming together how I wanted it to. I need to do some serious re-writing to get it how I want it.
- Write a superhero short story for an open call. I am actually hoping to get the first draft of this one done before I return to work on the 3rd January.
- Start a new futuristic / sci-fi series which will include both MM and MMM stories. These will, hopefully, be novella length stories so not as far apart in releases as the Mermen & Magic books are. I would like to get a minimum of one of these written by the end of 2017.
- Start a Young Adult story. I have several ideas for YA stories and would like to get one started, if not finished, by the end of 2017.
Other goals that are not specific projects are:
- I would also like to have at least one story submitted to a publisher who is not one of my main two, i.e. Pride Publishing and Fireborn Publishing. In 2016 I did at least manage that goal by having my first story published with MLR Press. Whether I submit another story to MLR or somewhere else will largely depend on the story.
- I also really need to try to take part in the flash fiction group, who have probably forgotten I am even a part of them.
- I am going to try to get my blog to be more regularly updated, though goodness knows what with. Probably more guests since we all know I am rubbish at coming up with posts for this place. 🙂
- I have installed Stay Focused on my Chrome browser which will be activated after the holidays. Social media is going to be limited to 30 minutes per day. Of course, I may end up using the block to catch up on my reading instead of writing, but I have no doubt that staying off of social media save for promo purposes will help. What I need to do is stick to it, like I wish I had one in 2016 like I had intended.